Friday, June 24, 2016

The Dog Days of Summer...

We have to always be on our toes, looking for the next opportunity, keeping your resume updated.  It doesn't do to just "keep my eyes open;" you MUST proactively look for jobs in your field.  Not only does this keep you learning what jobs are open, but it will also help you keep abreast of changes in your field.  Can't find jobs for you by the title you're used to searching?  Could be that it's been  renamed/rebranded.

I describe myself as a corporate trainer, as most people have some idea of what that kind of person does.   Of course, I can also go by the following monikers:  Trainer, Facilitator, Talent Manager, Organizational Development professional, L&D (learning and development), Performance Consultant, and so on.   When I started in the "training world," you were a "trainer," which usually meant you taught classes.   It's true that I teach classes occasionally (and still enjoy it), but the field has changed so much in the last 20 years, and I have adapted along with it, not only picking up new titles, but the skills needed to compete in the marketplace should my current company decide to reorg, rightsize, downsize, or I think the newest term I've heard is "align talent."  All the same thing--someone is likely to have to move on.  Of course, we all hope it's the other guy.

I recently worked with a woman who'd been in her job for almost 12 years, and she was looking to update her resume, as she was concerned about a coming layoff.  I asked her about her resume, and she asked for my help.  When I looked at it, it was very appropriate for a new college grad, which she was 12 years ago.    Knowing her as I do, I asked, "so, basically, you are looking to catch up all these years, right?"   Her field, "engineering," has taken almost as many twists and turns as mine in learning and development.   To keep yourself employable, I can't stress enough that you have to keep your skills current (find out what the industry trends are), keep networking, and plan for having to search for a job sooner than you think.  These are important skills regardless of what your next job title will be.

2 comments: